- Narrow Road to the Deep North – adaptation for TV – Fremantle Media (Justin Kurzel attached to Direct)
- Untitled Original Television Series – Made Up Stories / Endeavour Content
- Untitled Original Feature Film – MGM Studios
- Mindhunter (Netflix) Season 2 finale episode – recently nominated for Best Drama Series, WGA Awards
- True History of the Kelly Gang (STAN) for Porchlight Films and Daybreak Pictures, adapted from Peter Carey’s novel and directed by Justin Kurzel (Premiere at TIFF September 2019)
- Penguin Bloom (Netflix) feature produced by Made Up Stories – Producers Bruna Papandrea, Emma Cooper and Naomi Watts
- Nitram (STAN Original / Madman Theatrical / MIFF) – Cannes Film Festival 6-17 July 2021
RECENT AWARDS & NOMINATIONS:
- 2020 AACTA Nominee & Winner – Best Screenplay: True History of the Kelly Gang
- 2020 AWG Nominee & Winner – Feature Film – Adaptation: Penguin Bloom
- 2019 WGA TV Award Nominee – Best Drama Series (collegiate)
- 2019 AWGIE Nominee & Winner – Best Adapated Screenplay: True History of the Kelly Gang
- 2017 AACTA Awards Nominee & Winner – Best Adapted Screenplay: Jasper Jones
- 2017 AACTA Awards Nominee – Best Adapted Screenplay: Berlin Syndrome
- 2011 Cannes Film Festival – Critics Week – Snowtown – President of the Jury Special Award Grand Prix
- 2021 Cannes Film Festival – Competition – Nitram
- Toronto International Film Festival 2020 – Gala Premiere of Penguin Bloom
- Toronto International Film Festival 2019 – Gala Premiere of True History of the Kelly Gang
- Sundance Film Festival 2017 – screenplay adaptation of Berlin Syndrome based on the novel by Melanie Joosten for Aquarius Films
- Cannes Film Festival 2011 – Critics Week – screenplay of Snowtown
Shaun is a highly acclaimed screenwriter whose films have premiered at the world’s most prestigious film festivals; including Cannes, Toronto and Sundance. Recently, Shaun’s sixth feature film NITRAM, had its world premiere In Competition at the Cannes Film Festival, the first Australian film to do so in a decade, where it won the prize for Best Actor. In 2020, Shaun won his fifth AWGIE Award (Australian Writer’s Guild Award) for Best Adapted Screenplay for Penguin Bloom. Prior to this, True History of the Kelly Gang, premiered at the 2019 Toronto International Film Festival. The much-anticipated film saw Shaun reuniting with Justin Kurzel after their debut feature film, Snowtown, which was selected for Cannes’ Critic Week in 2011 and went on to win the AACTA Award (Australian Academy Award) for Best Adapted Screenplay . Shaun’s work on Jasper Jones and Berlin Syndrome gave him two further AAACTA nominations and an AWGIE win for Best Adapted Screenplay.
In television, Shaun has written for multiple series, securing another AWGIE win and AACTA nomination for his work on the mini-series, Deadline Gallipoli. More recently, Shaun wrote the finale of Netflix’s Mindhunter for which he, and the show’s writing team, received a Writer’s Guild of America nomination for Best Drama.
Shaun currently has several film and TV projects in development in Australia and the US.