- Giri/Haji for Netflix and BBC – shooting in Japan and the UK.
- 2018 DOCTOR DOCTOR Series 3 – Series Director Block 2 – Nine Network
- 2018 THE FAMILY LAW Series 3 – Series Director – Matchbox Pictures/NBCUniversal
SELECTED AWARDS & NOMINATIONS :
- 2018 Finalist, Best Direction of a TV/SVOD Comedy Program in the Australian Directors’ Guild Awards
- 2015 Winner, Best Narrative Feature Award at the St Lawrence International Film Festival
- 2009 Winner, Best Unproduced Screenplay, Australian Writers’ Guild Awards
After studying Ecology and Medieval History at Melbourne University, Ben Chessell graduated from Victorian College of the Arts in 2001. Palace Films released his highly acclaimed graduation film, The Only Person In The World theatrically with Italian For Beginners. It was a finalist at the 2002 Dendy Awards, was nominated for an AFI award and won Best Short Film at the Australian Circle of Film Critics, as well as screening at over twenty film festivals.
Ben was a finalist in the Kudos/Red Planet Pictures Screenwriting Prize in 2011 and is currently developing a number of feature films and television dramas as writer/director. Ben’s first feature film, Sucker (co-written with Lawrence Leung, produced by Jason Byrne and Robyn Kershaw) premiered at MIFF in 2015 and won the Best Narrative Feature Award at the St Lawrence International Film Festival. The film starred John Luc, Lily Sullivan and Timothy Spall.
Ben directed episodes of the first season of the children’s drama series, Dance Academy (ABC TV/ZDF Germany), episodes of RUSH Seasons 3 and 4 and Offspring Seasons 3 and 4 as well as writing episodes of both those shows (Southern Star, Channel 10) and then directed episodes of the first season of Camp for Matchbox and NBC Universal. In 2016 he was series director The Family Law (Series 2 & 3) and recently completed directing two episodes of Doctor Doctor for the Nine Network.
Ben is currently working in the UK and Japan as the director on Giri/Haji for BBC and Netflix.